Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Day 2 - A terrible ride

What a horrible ride! Only yesterday I was saying it's not possible to have a bike ride and not feel better for it, that apparently is not true, so here I am eating my words.

This morning I woke up after a restless night and realized it was Toddler Group today, so I hurried Jack out of bed, showered and generally rushed around to be there as soon as they opened. Jack has been missing his friends back in Washington and constantly talks about wanting to go to Toddler group, every single time we go he gets sick and has to miss the following week, so we only get to go once a fortnight and it is truly the highlight of his life. So with that in mind you can only imagine the joy and elation he felt at getting on the bike and riding to playgroup this morning!

Nothing stopped his enthusiasm, not even the misty sea rain that seems to soak you to the core in a matter of seconds, nor the slight downhill part that left me feeling even colder- no, he just yelled "weeeeeeee" all the way down the hill. So when we arrive and I notice there are no cars in the parking lot I have to optimistically hope that everyone decided to walk there today, but alas another lady waiting for an appointment tells me all the doors are locked. For Jack all this is still unknown, he's waiting for me to get him off the bike and when I turn to him and say "I'm sorry there is no one here" he erupts like a volcano into a screaming, shaking, flushed red terror of little fists pummelling my arm. It only took seconds for me to realize offering my condolences in the form of kisses and cuddles wasn't going to help at that moment, so I took off on the bike with him screaming bloody murder behind me. Passers-by looked on in wide eyed amazement at the sheer volume of his screams and a large dog barked nervously, probably wondering what exactly I had on the back of my bike- lets not forget Jack was wearing his Gruffalo fleece, complete with horns and ears!

Anyway we made it home and I snapped this picture before he dismounted, this was his attempt at smiling! We shuffled back in the house, had a snuggle on the sofa and switched on his favourite cartoon.

Day two is done.

8 comments:

  1. Oh what a terrible day for him, of course he doesn't understand why he didn't get to play with his buds. Kisses to Jack and Hugs to all. Would be nice if they had posted a note or something, hopefully there is a number to call to find out about next week with out making the trek all the way there and having him disappointed again.
    And so the New Year Begins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was tough, I hope we can make some more friends soon so he's not so desperate to go to playgroup. It's hard because he's also a bit older than most of the children there, and he has a hard time leaving as its only an hour or so and he could play forever. Argh New Year!

      Delete
  2. Poor guy. It's so hard to be a wee one. Complicated emotions that are tough to process and understand.. no control over surroundings and choices.. On the other hand, cookies and cartoons clear up just about any upset. Cheers to you that Day 3 rocks!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He recovered after about 20 minutes of cartoons lol! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Don't they have some sort of telephone tree or text/email list to tell parents about cancellations? If not, I'd speak to whoever is in charge of it about starting one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably do, we have only gone a few times so I may just have missed an announcement. I will have to find out before we attempt to go again, hate to see him so disappointed.

      Delete
  4. Oof. Toddlers. Goof to envy them For doing exactly what thet feel.
    Well done you for keeping so calm. It's hard sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I was in a good mood so I was able to cope, but you now how when you've had a bad day and then something like that happens it can be the icing on the cake- this wasn't that day - phew!:)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your comments, if you would like to be updated with replies to the thread click "subscribe by email" on the bottom right hand side of the comment box.
Thanks!